Monday, October 25, 2010

PART 2: Is it you should be or you are sanctified?






IRRESISTIBLE GRACE
Those who are redeemed by the Lord Jesus Christ know the Lord and listen to his voice. Notice in the following passage that Jesus does not say they should listen to my voice, but says they will listen to my voice:


John 10:14-16 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.


Those who are redeemed by Christ follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. Notice in the following passage that Paul does not say the sons of God should be led by the Spirit, but they are led by the Spirit:


Romans 8:14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.


Jesus reports on the characteristics of believers in the beatitudes. Notice he does not say blessed are those who should be poor in spirit or should mourn etc. No, he says blessed are those who are poor in spirit, mourn, etc.


It is the work of irresistible grace in believers that cause them to listen to his voice, be led by the Holy Spirit, and to have the characteristics that Jesus describes in the beatitudes. Believers are not perfect or even close, but irresistible grace causes these things to happen in varying degrees. If a person does not have these qualities, then they are not believers. The solution to this problem is not to become a legalist striving for sanctification, but to cling to the cross in faith and repentance.

No comments: